Reach Out! is the name chosen by our young people for the Children in Care Council in Slough.
It offers you opportunities to get involved in different groups, forums and other activities so you can tell Slough Children’s Services Trust how services can be made better for the future.
The Reach Out! groups meet up regularly at a venue in Slough to discuss issues that are affecting children in care and care leavers – and to have fun!
Reach Out! provides children and young people with opportunities to:
- Have a say on the issues that matter to you and be heard
- Influence real changes to the services and support you receive
- Meet the professionals who can make a change
- Make new friends and have fun.
The Reach Out! groups of around 20 children and young people see their role as representing all the children and young people who are looked after by Slough Children’s Services Trust.
Reach Out! usually meet once a month:
- To look at what is good
- To look at what is not so good
- To help shape what can be done to make things better for all of Slough’s children in care and care leavers.
I am a member of Reach Out! because I like to help other children in care and to share my opinions
Children and young people share ideas on how things could be improved and suggest new ideas. Reach Out! also represent the issues, views and comments of Slough’s children in care and care leavers at something called the ‘The Joint Corporate Parenting Board’.
The Joint Corporate Parenting Board is a group of top managers from the Trust, Slough Borough Council as well as elected council members whose job it is to make important decisions about the services for children in care and care leavers.
Reach Out! and get involved
Being part of Reach Out! is not all about meetings though. It is also an opportunity to do fun things and to get to know other children and young people in care and care leavers.
Getting involved in Reach Out! will also mean you can:
- Take part in interview panels to recruit people who want to work for the Trust
- Attend national events and meet up with other children in care and care leavers from across the UK
- Represent the views of all Slough’s children in care and/or care leavers
- Take part in projects like the recent animation film weekends
- Be involved in creating new resources (booklets, leaflets) for new children and young people coming in to care
- Be involved in planning events such as your Achievement Awards Ceremony.
Reach Out! Update
You can see updates on all the projects Reach Out! are working on here – on this page – or through the Reach Out! Update, which goes to all members. You can get involved wherever you live and have your voice listened to by getting in touch with us. Use the ‘contact us’ form to share your ideas or comments.
The reason I joined Reach Out! was to make new friends & do different activities
Reach Out! Get in touch
To find out more about getting involved in Reach Out! you can:
Call: 01753 477333
Text: 07776 461845
Fill in the ‘Contact Us’ form at the bottom of this page.
Reach Out! has given me the opportunity to attend the Corporate Parent Panel. I was able to get our points across. I love being part of Reach Out!
- Virtual School (click here to visit their page on this site)
Call: 01753 875920
- Independent Reviewing Service: 01753 690906
- Office of the Children’s Commissioner: The Children’s Commissioner for England is responsible for promoting and protecting the rights of children and young people, and making sure their voices are listened to. The Office of the Children’s Commissioner can provide help and advice to young people in care, care leavers living away from home in care or living at home with support from social services.